Audition and Casting Process
Internationally acclaimed, award-winning Raksanna presents the exciting Confessions of a Belly Dancer; Secrets of the Hieroglyph © casting competition! This process gives dancers from around the world the opportunity to be cast as supporting and featured dancers for the theatrical adaptation of Raksanna’s book: Confessions of a Belly Dancer; Secrets of the Hieroglyph © or to have their story appear in the final edition: Confessions of a Belly Dancer; Coming Home ©! You could be part of the amazing show everyone is talking about!
About Confessions and the Tour:
A full-length theatrical production, Confessions of a Belly Dancer© is a collection of vignettes that tell the real-life experiences of actual belly dancers from around the world through the performing arts. The show is touring both domestically and internationally.
The first performance was sold out and debuted at the Paramount Theater, Copley Stage on November 3, 2012 in Chicago’s western suburb, Aurora, and showcased an international cast of 18 dancers representing six countries and seven States. On October 18, 2013, Confessions of a Belly Dancer; New York City © debuted off Broadway to rave reviews. On May 17, 2014 Confessions of a Belly Dancer; The Heartland of America© was a great success at Kansas City’s historic Union Station! On September 19, 2015 Confessions of a Belly Dancer; The Motor City © stirred the heart of Detroit. On this special 5th anniversary of the show, we are coming home!
Each festival/tour offers up to six openings for Cabaret, Oriental and/or Tribal Fusion dancers, singers, actors and musicians. Selected performing artists perform in a local Confessions © show.
Who can audition?
Any performing artist (dancer, actor, singer, and musicians) can audition. The only stipulation is that the submission must be belly dance related (ie: Middle Eastern dance, American Cabaret, Tribal Fusion or acting – monologue or duet – with the scene focused on belly dance).
What are the audition opportunities?
- Auditioning dancers / performers can be cast in one or more of these four categories:
- Featured solo in the show
- Group choreography
- Stand-alone confession (ie: monologue)
- Featured act in the pre-show VIP party
- Performing artists are evaluated on three prongs:
- Entertainment / stage presence value
- Suitability of the Confession as it relates to the overall show
More information about your Confession:
- Your confession is an important element of the audition process because if selected, your story is featured in the show and in the book
- Confessions are evaluated on the human element and how it fits into the overall production
What must be included in your audition?
- Performing artists submit video auditions via the Confessions website (if you experience difficulties uploading your files, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The performing artist submits one video link with these sections:
- Introduction of who you are and what genre you are auditioning for (ie: dance, acting, singing, etc.)
- If auditioning for dance, the following components should be included:
- your confession, followed by your reenactment of the confession through dance, singing or music
- If auditioning for a monologue, song or an acting piece, then this section of the video should show you reenacting you confession
- A photograph of your or your group in costume
- You can audition for as many categories as you like – ie: dance, song, music, acting. However, the video must be organized in this order:
- Verbal description of confession
- Reenactment of confession through dance, song, music or acting
How do I audition?
- You sign up for the audition subscription.
- Prior to the end of the audition time frame, create a video of your audition with the elements described above. All elements must be combined in a single video file and in the standardized order described above.
Please note: submissions that do not follow the process are automatically disqualified
- Complete the audition submission form on the Confessions website and upload your photograph, your video and your confession via this web site
- Raksanna and her evaluation team review all submissions.
How are performers who are cast notified?
- Artists selected to perform in the show are notified either via email or phone call within 10 days of the ending date of the audition call
- Artists selected for the show receive additional information (such as choreography clips, music files, etc.) to prepare for the show
- Submissions that are not accepted for the show receive notification via email within 10 days of the ending date of the audition call
Cast Members Receive:
- International exposures on the Confessions website, social media and publications
- Intensive training with Raksanna and the Confessions cast
- Opportunity to perform with some of the top Middle Eastern dance and music artists
- Experience working on a professionally produced full-scale theatrical production
- Networking opportunities with some of the top Middle Eastern dance and musician artists
- Photo shoot with the official photographer of Confessions
- Your story will appear in the next print edition of Confessions!
Are you ready? Signup for your audition now!